For students and staff

If you are worried about your mental health, you should try and seek help early. The first step is to visit your GP/Doctor and explain how you feel. GP's/Dcotors are experienced in dealing with mental health problems, so try to be open about how you have been feeling. You might find it hard to discuss personal problems, or struggle to find the words to explain how you feel.

If you do struggle, you might find it helpful to try the following:

  • Ask your GP/Doctor for a double appointment. This will give you more time to talk to the doctor.
  • Take a friend or relative to the appointment. They can help you to explain things to the GP/Doctor.
  • Write down what you would like to say before the appointment. You could also make notes of your symptoms and questions you would like to ask.
For Staff

Wellbeing Champions
Available to listen to concerns and signpost you to support that is available, particularly in relation to supporting your wellbeing.  More information on our wellbeing champions can be found here.

Immediate help options

Do you need to speak with someone urgently because you're concerned about your own or someone else’s immediate wellbeing or safety?

Is it an emergency?

If there is an immediate danger or someone seriously injured on campus you can call the Brunel Security Team on 01895 255786. If you are off campus, contact the Emergency Services on 999.

Is it urgent?

If you're concerned about your own wellbeing or safety, or that of someone else, but it isn't an immediate emergency, you can contact the following:

  • Your GP/Doctor
    Contact your surgery and tell them clearly that you need to make an emergency appointment. If you phone after surgery hours there will usually be a recorded message giving out-of-hours information. The Mental Health Foundation have produced a useful guide to help you talk to your GP/Doctor about mental health.
  • University Medical Centre
    If you live on campus (or within 2 miles of the campus) call 01895 266904.
  • NHS 111
    You can use NHS 111 if you need urgent medical help or advice but it's not a life-threatening situation. Dial 111 free from any phone.
  • Samaritans
    116 123 (24 hour helpline).
  • Accident and Emergency (24 hour)
    If you're worried about your own safety or that of someone else, you can go to A&E and request a mental health assessment.

University Support

  • Student Support and Welfare Team. A member of the team can talk through the University's procedures, and what support is available such as counselling appointments and/or mental health advisor support if appropriate.
  • Extenuating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for extenuating circumstances. Your Tutor or Taught Programmes Office (TPO) will be able to provide more information.

There are two ways you can tell us what happened