Online harassment and/or stalking are not okay. These behaviours are contrary to University Dignity at Work and Study Policies.
- Are they in immediate danger? If they are in immediate danger or seriously injured on campus they can call the Brunel Security Team on 01895 255786. If they are off campus, contact the Emergency Services on 999.
- Find a safe space. If an incident has just happened try and find somewhere they feel safe. If this isn't possible and they are scared or fearful they can call the Brunel Security Team on 01895 255786 or the Emergency services on 999.
- What is online harassment/stalking? It might be useful to think about what is meant by online harassment and stalking.
- Listen. Just taking the time to listen to someone and talk about what has happened can help. These six active listening tips might help you support them. - Published on Oct 4, 2015 Based on the Samaritans guidelines for active listening.
- Give options. When they have finished talking ask them if they are okay to talk through some possible options and next steps.
- Student Support and Welfare Team. A member of the team can talk through the University's procedures, how to make a complaint and what support is available.
- Report and Support. Students and staff can report an incident using the University’s Report and Support system. You can choose to do this anonymously or you can make a report with contact details. If you choose to report with contact details, a member of the Student Support and Welfare Team will be able to talk through the options and support available to you.
- University Procedure. If you choose to make a formal complaint to the University about a student or member of staff there are procedures which set out the steps you'll need to follow.
Mental Health and Wellbeing
1 in 4 people is affected by a mental health problem in any year and it is estimated that around 1 in 5 people has contemplated suicide or self-harm.
- Find out more on the support available for mental health and wellbeing.
- Take care of yourself. It’s important that you take care of yourself. If you’ve heard something distressing or if something is troubling you, you can let us know via this site or contact the Student Support and Welfare Team.